Almost a month later...Asheville trip, Day One!

I've been putting off blogging about our Asheville trip at the beginning of September because...well,  I just haven't felt like blogging :(  The older Maddie gets, and the more we do...I'm just realizing that our lives are getting more cluttered and busier, and the thought of sitting down to document our every day happenings just adds to the mind clutter for me.  However, part of my self inflicted stress is that I desperately want to preserve memories in every way possible, and blogging is a good way to do that.  It's just more time consuming than I'd like:(  So these posts are going to be seeping out pretty slowly...like at a snail's pace...one day at a time :P

Here is our Asheville trip, Day 1:

We had planned to leave for NC from Columbus early Labor Day but we decided we wanted to get the most out of our five day trip, so we left Sunday morning instead so we could hit up Chimney Rock come Monday morning.

We booked a room at Country Day Inn and Suites Sunday night and arrived around dinner time. After setting up the pack n play for Maddie,  we took a 10 min shuttle to downtown Asheville to see what dinner options we had. We tried to get into a few places but there were long waits at all, so we randomly walked into the Yacht Club thinking the food would be lousy. We were pleasantly surprised by their tasty fish and chips, which Maddie gobbled up right away! She was also entertained by the live music as well, so win win.
Since it was getting late and Maddie hadn't slept much on the 7 hour trip, we just walked around quickly,  got some ice cream at Kilwin's and then took the shuttle back to the hotel and called it a night.


Monday morning, we woke up and got appropriately dressed for a hike at Chimney Rock, where one of our favorite movies of all time, The Last of the Mohicans, was partially filmed at.

A view of Lake Lure, where Dirty Dancing was filmed. I wanted to actually go to the spot on the lake where Patrick Swayze practices lifting Jennifer Grey in the water, but Ryan was not really into that idea :P

Here we go...499 steps to Chimney Rock!

With some stops along the way :)


Chimney Rock!


You deserve a cheese stick, Maddie

My favorite picture

Next, Hickory Nut Falls

wiggly 2 year old



Stopped at one of the many breweries we drove past


Relaxing a little on the deck of our rental house

Dinner at Chai Pani's--fried okra was so good!

Ryan got the butter chicken which I liked better than my dish

Ending the night at Wicked Weed

Yep...time to call it a night :(

Asheville Day 2--a day at the Biltmore Estate--coming soon, hopefully!  Gotta go take advantage of Maddie napping right now, and  clean up a bit before my students arrive later this afternoon.

There's more I'd like to write about, but that will all have to wait for another day:)

Comments

Leslie said…
I also feel so stressed about the need to "document" everything, while also to live life! Toddler life is so busy that it just feels hard to keep up. It looks like you all had a great time, and the scenery is simply stunning!
sarah marie said…
I feel the same way about trying to fit in blogging -- it's so hard to fit it into such a busy life, but at the same time, all the experiences keep slipping by and I'm stressing about not keeping our blog "memory book" very well, and I wish I could do it better!

Your trip looks like it was delightful! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Life lately

Just popping in to say...