Warning: Do not read if you dislike feeling depressed:/

This summer will have been my fifth year living and working in Columbus, and as I experience a turnover nearly every single year, I've been pondering more and more in recent weeks that I need to change some things.  I don't think any violin teacher or artist out there ever thinks they are doing the wrong thing or teaching their students incorrectly--don't we all tend to like the way we think and/or do things?!  But, even though I come to expect turnovers in students as a regular and normal thing, this year has just been so...weird.  I thought that I had matured enough and was experienced enough to get over those humps and not take it so personally when students left or quit as I did when I first started teaching, but I really have to admit--I've been shaken by particular students leaving, and with specific experiences w/ some parents.  Feelings of doubt--even incompetence--have washed over me, and that quickly turns into anger and defensive reactions when I can't put my finger on why I let myself feel that way when I look back on what I try to instill in my students.  I've been well-trained and have been playing the violin since my earliest memory; I know I still have a lot to learn--don't we all--so I'm not even going to act like a know-it-all--but after deep thought, I know it's not a question of competence.
So what is it?

I keep pushing away the nagging thought that my time as a teacher is up.  That looks so ridiculous as I type it out, because I'm not even 30 yet.  But I feel like I'm burned out.

Or maybe this week was just terrible.  I swear, I felt like every single student I had today--in a row--breathed sighs of boredom, even looked agitated (when I got the metronome out or asked repetitions of specific exercises) and from the parents who sat in (not all of them do), haggard looks of frustration and helplessness.  I always welcome questions or concerns from parents, so in case they don't quite understand something I've gone over in a lesson, they have another opportunity to clarify the issue.  But when I open that door, they quickly shut it saying that "it's not you or what you're doing...he/she just doesn't like to practice and I'm at a loss on how to motivate them".  Yet, despite that, I still find myself wondering if the parent is overwhelmed with what I expect from their child.

I was talking about this with my mom, and she was baffled as she remembers having a hard time getting me to "have fun" practicing, but never once thought that was an excuse to let me quit or point the finger at my teacher(s).  My violin life growing up was very laid back--as I improved, the violin made its way to the forefront of my life and even when I got frustrated every so often, my first instinct was to blame myself, not my teacher.

Maybe next week will be better.  But this whole summer has made me think that it's just not good to always do things the same way.  There are always aspects of the way I teach that I think I'll keep (emphasizing good bow holds, good posture and clean intonation) but I really need to be more creative now, more than ever.  I know it seems like I'm whining like this is bad news, but I can acknowledge how it's kind of a blessing that I lost so many students and took a blow to my inner violinist diva's ego this year, because it's really igniting a spark to be better, to improve, to work harder.  My earnings as a private music instructor may not necessarily warrant how much harder I need to work in order to change things around, but I think all us musicians knew that it would be tough going into this, right?  I honestly just can't sleep at night (which is why I'm up writing this!) unless I resolve things and know that I'm doing the right thing.

So one of my ideas was possibly starting another blog/website specifically for my studio (please don't ask me exactly how I'm going to go about doing this...this is JUST an idea!) where my students and their parents can possibly have some interaction with it as well--like posting accomplishments, upcoming performances, checking in with practice schedules, and general topics of interest.
Since I don't offer a group lesson option and only occasionally get students together for more performance oriented get-togethers, I get this vibe that parents feel detached--and hence, helpless--with not knowing how to help their child practice at home, or maybe simply feel bored or stagnant with the same old routine week after week after week.  Yeah, I do, too.

I obviously want to be an effective teacher and help my students, but honestly, sometimes I feel like I need their help, too.

And maybe I just answered my own question.  Why do I feel burnt out?  I feel like I give, and get nothing back.  And on top of getting nothing back, I get blamed or get ditched.  Am I a bad person or teacher for having these feelings?  I feel guilty, that's for sure.  And oh, have I mentioned I feel burnt out, too?

Earlier this summer, my parents and I visited old family friends--a retired couple whose daughter used to be my best childhood friend--and during a breakfast outing, I sat next to the dad and we talked about careers.  His opinion was that one should never do the same job for more than two years because it will inevitably get stale and the quality of your work will suffer.  He pointed out that it wasn't the fault of the person, but simply the nature of routine.  I thought that was interesting, and since he was pretty successful with his work life, I respected his advice.  However, he was talking about this in context with a discussion around my husband's occupation, not my own.  But this evening, I was thinking about that piece of advice and wondered if it applied to me.  I truly cannot imagine doing anything that doesn't involve the violin; we all know that I'd rather perform than teach, but that's not always an option for us violinists.  But truth be told, when I get a difficult child or parent, I find myself wishing I could just practice during their lesson slot.  And as soon as I have that thought, I ask myself, "Why are you doing this?! This teaching thing--you might as well be in a cubicle staring at a screen or on the phone dealing with customers!"  Awful, I know.

Why am I divulging in such vulnerable thoughts for you to see?  I guess I just want to know....how do you crawl out of momentary lapses of disillusionment or self-doubt and get them resolved?  Is this fixable, or do I need to take the figurative Prozac, close my eyes, take a deep breath, open them and put on a smile (a fake one, probably)...and do it all over again for the next school year until something better or interesting happens in my life?


What CAN I do?  Does anyone else struggle with this weird, I'm-in-no-man's-land problem?

I think I just need some sleep at this point.  I didn't mean to get in this deep, but it was needed:P

Ugh.  It's Friday already?  Thank God.




Comments

Hard, hard stuff. I'm sorry you're struggling, but it sounds like already you are looking at how you can adjust things--which sounds like a reasonable response--before you decide whether or not you want to continue with this career.

Two things stuck out to me from what you wrote (and I don't know you or your students, so I realize I might not have anything useful to say):

1. I've found it to be a difficult thing to help students and parents understand and grab hold of the vision I have for their playing--that what I'm asking for is possible, not to mention desirable. I don't have any easy answers for how to accomplish this, but it sounds like you pinpointed that as part of the problem--they haven't caught your vision.

2. More and more, I'm seeing in my own teaching (and in my mothering, not to mention my own life as a musician) how completely huge the social aspect of music is. I tend to stress-out about group classes and violin ensembles, myself, but that's what I see kids latching on to. Working together towards a common goal, having fun with a wide variety of repertoire, hanging out with other kids who also play violin--it kind of makes all the work they're doing make sense, you know what I mean?

I don't know if it's possible, but if I could recommend anything to you, it would be to get them playing together on a regular basis. I think it would speak directly to the "disconnect" you're talking about. Oh--and I think the blog/website idea sounds fabulous. I've thought about that myself, although at this point I still find it a pretty daunting idea. I think you're on to something. (Sorry to go on and on--I really just want to encourage you.)

Gaby said…
Karen, I really, really appreciate your encouragement and advice. I was up pretty late and feeling kind of crappy when writing it--and this morning, I was on the verge of regret, like typing it all out was real confirmation that there is a problem.
However, I'm kind of thankful there's an outlet like this available for me to figure things out along the way. Thank you for reading and for the thoughts. I think you're right about the group aspect. I've always been off and on about it b/c I'm also daunted by groups--especially involving varying ages and levels. I've tried to lead some that just fell flat. On the other hand, masterclass-type groups and performance classes seem to be a lot more successful.
Anyway, I'm trying to turn the stress into something productive and better.
Hannah said…
I feel your pain! I often have similar struggles with teaching, though a little different--I often feel that other teachers have more passion for it than I do, and that I simply teach because it is a way to make money and stay involved in the violin. I often feel that I am failing my students by not being vested enough in their lives, and not giving as much time and energy outside of the lessons. I'm always thinking about cutting back my hours even as I continue adding students...

But your problems are a little different. I think Karen's group class suggestion is a great one--my students that play together are generally more vested, and growing up group classes, chamber music, and orchestra were what really made me love playing the violin, because I loved the camaraderie and finally found a place in the world where I belonged.

But if nothing else, you should know you are not alone in your doubts and worries! I think we all have them.
Nate Robinson said…
Sorry to hear about your difficulties. :(

From reading your blog, it seems to me, your teaching principles are really very good (focusing on the core basics). With that in mind, my teacher Erick Friedman I remember said he put students on different tracks. He told me he could 'push' the students with more talent and was a bit more lenient and easy going with students who weren't as gifted. Of course it's great to have high standards and I commend you for that!

You mentioned group lessons/recitals. I think those are great motivational tools. Now I really value having performed a lot of small recitals when I was younger. Maybe a group class from time to time might motivate some of your students to practice a little more? I think having a goal on the calendar to work for is sometimes what I need to keep in shape.

Anyway good luck, and it sounds like you're already doing a great job, don't get discouraged!
Anonymous said…
I've been in a similar situation this summer. I was shocked to walk in the office were I teach to discover that I had only 6 students for the fall, and that my bosses in no way wanted to help me figure out what was going on. We can't control what people do, and parenting seems to be very different from when we were growing up.

I love group classes. I also plan some fun performances like a halloween play-in where the kids come in costume, a holiday performance out in town (the parents love it), and the local flower show. Doing fun things that I like doing helps the kids have fun too.

Hang in there!!
Gaby said…
@Hannah: Actually, I think sometimes I have a similar problem. Although, I think I may beat myself harder and feel more guilt for not liking or enjoying the teaching as much as others do. Probably because I always, always saw myself performing in an orchestra and the focus for me was always performance. I was a performance major, not a music ed person. I've since wrapped my head around the fact that that's not always a possibility for ALL violinists; but at the same time, there are other venues and opportunities for performance. I'm trying to take advantage of those instances.
@Nate: Thanks for the comments. Your teacher's teacher is one of my all-time favorite violinists: Jascha Heifetz:) I completely agree w/ Mr. Friedmann's views on different students with different abilities.
@Bonnie: Your employers should work harder to get you more students! Otherwise, is there any way you can branch off on your own? I totally would do that, except I live in a town home and don't have proper space for a studio, or at least one that would be well out of the way for my husband and dogs when they're around:) I know it's a normal part of teaching--the comings and goings of students. Sigh.
PamPaganini88 said…
Hi there. I don't even remember how I came across your blog.....but I'm a well seasoned orchestra teacher who is also feeling the angst with teaching. Like you, I can'.t imagine the violin not being a part of my life and for a long time I felt so lucky that I was able to make money with my talent and passion. Reading your blog is like divine intervention - because even though I have my issues to work through - thinking of advice to share with you might also help others ( and me) as well.

I have to come to believe that we as a culture and society have greatly changed and parents do not parent like long ago. Everybody is stressed out with the economy and.the arts have taken a back seat in this world. Kids of today desperately need to be taught rigor and tenacity - to really work hard for something. They no longer have to do a lot of memorization mor things of repetition in general Ed....so they think we're crazy when we ask them to do this. There is also research out there that kids have really poor muscle tone and fine motor skills because they don'tlay the way kids used to. (do a google search for an NPR show and kids needing to play more with sticks and stuff outside).

I teach public school orchestra grades 5-8 and had the shocking revelation that I will have 51 kids in an orchestra (heterogeneous) as 2nd year players. I could totally fixate on this and how bad it's going to be- but I refuse to let circumstances determine how successful I choose to be.

My advice for you is to keep playing, performing, and practicing - your music belongs to you and only you. It's good for the brain and your soul. Have an outlet like yoga or running - it' s great to clear your mind after a rough day or week. Be creative and maybe save the last 5 minutes of a lesson (if deserved) playing through Robert mainstream music. Figure out a Katy Perry tune - and teach it by ear - it can be good ear training. Dn't forget to be clear with students and parents about expectations and what you can and will provide AND what you won't tolerate.

My first few years of teaching were great but because of the learning curve not a complete joy. Years 4-12 were really bliss....I felt like I could really impact students and help them to be better musicians and people.....the last 5 years have been tough - and while I just chalked it up to me having the demands of work and a young family at home (married and had kids later than the norm) I do struggle with how different things are.....but I'm not ready to give up yet....I'm a perfectionist and I feel like I'm still up for the challenge to be better/successful.

I wish you all the best!
Gaby said…
Pam, thanks so much for the commentary and advice. I appreciate it! I'm continually shocked when I discover that new people come across this blog and how much we share in common. It's a different kind of community that makes me glad I write on this thing:)

You know, your advice about activity clearing the mind and soul--you're absolutely right and as my own husband observed, is probably one of the contributing factors to this out-of-nowhere pseudo depression and panic I've been feeling. For awhile there, I was regularly running, and then this summer I just stopped. No reason, just stopped, didn't feel like it anymore.

I have my good weeks and bad weeks teaching; I've now come to expect it. I know I am much happier when I'm balancing out time for myself as well as for my students. No doubt about that.

Thank you for reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Life lately

Just popping in to say...

Graeters, skin problems and a 100th birthday (somehow these all seem related, but they're not)