Let's talk about clothes

Along with my favorite time of year also comes the sudden urge to go shopping for Fall clothes (the invention of Pinterest and fashion bloggers also probably doesn't help).
I know it's so cliché, but I'm gonna go ahead and say what everyone else gushes over:  the boots, the sweaters, scarves, leggings, layers, warm, plush colors to put together.  I don't discuss clothes a whole lot on this blog, but maybe I should because it definitely is another interest of mine.  What woman doesn't like clothes?  If they exist, I don't want to know them :) I jest.

Anyway.  My one major stipulation when shopping, however, is that I am not allowed to buy anything full price.  There have been only a handful of times where I've done that, either out of desperation or knowledge that a certain item was going to be snatched up fast.  Otherwise, I've learned my lesson that eventually, whatever I have my eye on will come down in price.  The only risk is that I don't have a whole lot of time to frequent malls or stores on a regular basis, and might miss that opportunity.
The one store that, for the longest time, was my go-to place is Ann Taylor Loft, mainly because several years ago I discovered their petite section and was elated that I no longer had to buy pants in the children's section or get them hemmed.
Then a few years ago, I took a deep breath and stepped into a Talbots out of boredom and was really shocked to find that their store had a makeover of sorts, and I was able to walk out with lots of stuff for my closet.  I always linked Talbots with my mom (basically, old people) because growing up, she'd always drag me and my brother there.
But the last couple of times I've gone there this past year, I haven't found anything, so while both ATL and Talbots can be classic, they don't always hit the mark.

Here are a few others I've been able to find stuff at:

American Eagle -- got cute jeggings with zippers a few weeks ago. These aren't the same ones, but I would also get these.  I wasn't so sure about jeggings before I tried them on, since I've tried some before that were super tight; but these were more like skinny jeans for me.  The waist and length were perfect for little petite me.
I need to go back to AE soon-- they seem to have a lot of stuff that appeals to me this season.

Ann Taylor-- a little different than ATL, this store is a little pricier, but again-- I always scrounge the clearance area and have always found something to walk away with.  Haven't gone there for Fall yet, but did score a few tops at the end of the summer.

Kohls--  whaaaa?  Yes, I know, for the most part I never find anything at Kohls.  They have a lot of cute stuff I like to look at, but once I try them on, for some reason, the excitement dissipates.  But one brand of clothes that I do like there is the LC (Lauren Conrad) brand.  Last summer I snagged an amazing kimono cardigan that I always get compliments on.  I'll be using that for a long time.  I also haven't gone there yet this month, but it's on my to-do list.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I'll try harder to take pics of outfits in the future.  I know this post is so boring without them.

Addressing musicians:  I know it shouldn't seem like finding something to wear for concerts is an ordeal...I mean, we just wear all black, right?  But if you're shallow like me, I  need to find something different to wear for each concert and it has to be more interesting than just a plain black shirt and boring black pants.  So whenever I catch an item in black that has an interesting feature (like lace or ruffles, etc.) I try to add it to my closet for future concerts.  At this past weekend's concert, I saw a fellow musician wearing this dress:
Tadashi Shoji Asymmetrical Ruched Mesh Gown
And I completely lusted after it.  However, it's just a community orchestra and I don't see myself wearing an almost $300 dress for it without wanting a little attention.  I want to stand out...but not too much.  So for now, my standard for concerts is more like this outfit:

Or this:

Okay.  So maybe if I used all that time I do thinking about my outfits towards practicing the violin I would be a little better off, admittedly.  But life is about balance, right?  And as a woman, I no longer will apologize for our natural inclination towards "all things pretty".  Normal women just love clothes and always will.
Until I get on board with the next "kick" be prepared to read about shoes, accessories and makeup. Can't say I didn't warn you.

Comments

Valerie said…
Oh I LOVE ATL! Well, at least I used to until I got a job where it doesn't make since for me to wear nice clothes...ever. I have a much more active lifestyle, so I often frequent Eddie Bauer or Columbia, and I love outlet stores. Oh, and I can completely understand how you would lust over that orchestra dress. It's just lovely.

Popular posts from this blog

Life lately

Just popping in to say...

Dear Teacher, I don't like to practice so...you're fired!