A Delightful Visit from a Friend

I had this past Monday and Tuesday off so I could have some time to entertain my good college buddy (the one who got married last summer in Colorado) who was in Ohio for someone else's wedding over the weekend.  Originally, the plan was for her to come on Sunday afternoon and spend Monday and Tuesday here (with plans to visit Cincinnati somewhere in there) but then we thought it made more sense for her to go to Cincinnati before coming here.  In the end, I was so happy it worked out that way, because I had NO time whatsoever over the weekend to clean the house or do anything, really.  I had two rehearsals and two concerts Friday and Sunday; I taught literally all day Saturday.  So when I had Monday all to myself, it was a wonderful change to know I had nowhere to be but home, and could take my time cleaning and grocery shopping.
By the time my friend and her husband arrived at midnight Monday, the house was quiet and ready for her visit!
Wow, did I miss her!  She was tired, but she made a great effort to stay up and talk and catch up on old times while we sipped on wine and veggies and hummus until 2:30am! Lol.  We put on a movie on Netflix and talked until we both found ourselves drifting off and decided it was time to go to bed after all.
The next morning we had our much needed coffee and paid a visit to the best bakery in town, Tyler's Bakery in Reynoldsburg, OH (when Ryan and I first moved in a month and a half ago, all our neighbors told us this place had THE best chocolate croissants... one even dared to say it was better than the ones he'd had in Paris, France; we thought they were exaggerating... that is, until we had them ourselves....HEAVEN) and brought back chocolate croissants and ate them at the house.  Then we got ready to head out to see the sights around noon.

First stop was German Village (and I'm such an idiot as usual: did not take one single picture, so will try to steal my friend's pics from Facebook) where we popped in to Schmidt's to salivate over their sausages and huge cream puffs.  We pondered having lunch there, but I thought my friends would enjoy seeing North Market and all the options for lunch they had there.  So after browsing a few shops in GV, we then went over to North Market near downtown Columbus.  I always love going there and taking out of town visitors there.  There are so many options for everyone if no one can agree on one thing to eat.  I always get the Vietnamese rice bowl from Lan Viet; my friend got a Kimchi grilled cheese from Best of the Wurst and her husband got a bison burger from Kitchen Little. She also got bubble tea, which I also would have gotten had I not already grabbed a mango lassi from the Indian stand.  And even though we were stuffed, we HAD to get Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams.  One can NOT visit Columbus and not try Jeni's.  I tried one of their new flavors, Intelligentsia Black Coffee and their Bangkok Peanut flavor (since they no longer serve up my fav, the Queen City Cayenne) which had a spicy kick to it.  And I don't even really like peanut butter all that much.  This was really good.

We still had a few hours before my friends had to catch their flight out of Columbus, so we walked down High Street to the Short North area which has a lot of boutique shops and coffee places.  We stopped into One Line Coffee (again, we were full... but my friend and I just can't pass up coffee if it looks good!) where I got a latte and my friend decided to keep it light with some tea.  Ohmygoodness,that was the best latte I've had here in Columbus.  It also came with latte art, to boot!  I will definitely be making more trips to the Short North area from now on.  Just one of those things where it seems like a hassle to go downtown when you live here all the time.... but then you go with friends and realize what a gem your city really is.

After a little more walking around, we returned to the car and came back to the house where we said our goodbyes. *Sniff*. I miss her so much and wish they could have stayed even longer.  Next time, for sure, we will make a trip out there to Boulder, CO.

Love you, my friend!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life lately

Just popping in to say...

Dear Teacher, I don't like to practice so...you're fired!