Fair Warning

Rather than delete this blog altogether, I've decided that it's probably better to make it private.  I know this will diminish who reads it considerably, but I also don't want to have to stop writing.  Making it private seems to be more logical.  I'll gladly include anyone who wants to continue reading, but I also would prefer to know who is reading, as well.

I will probably make the change sometime this weekend.

I understand this might prove to be a little annoying; I used to get really irritated whenever a blogger I followed would suddenly change their settings to "private" without any warning, and I no longer could get a glimpse into their *interesting* lives (not that my life is interesting!).  It felt like I was being shut out of an exclusive club! Hmph!

But after having this thing for almost five years, my feelings have changed. The way I use social networking has changed, and I no longer have such a desire to put every single detail of my life out there for the world to see.  I now understand the benefit of keeping certain things private or among those who are in your inner circle; the objective isn't so much to exclude others, but to protect yourself.

I've also deactivated my Twitter account as I actually really found no practical use for it.  It was just another thing I realized was a hassle to keep track of.

Of course I'm still on Facebook; over the years I've wavered on deleting my account and then re-activating it whenever I felt like being "social" again.  I don't have any plans to leave Facebook, but I do practice more control over what I choose to post, and what I do post will be more and more infrequent.  I certainly don't mind being friends with anyone on FB and I enjoy reading certain friends' updates, but I won't be the kind of FB friend--as time goes on--that will be posting every detail of every thought I have.

So there it is.  This thing will be going "private" either tomorrow or Sunday and definitely let me know if you'd like me to add you to the list of followers who can continue reading.

Thanks.

Comments

Shelley said…
I hear you on the whole social media thing - I don't have my blog on FB, but even sometimes just my personal stuff gets to be a little much and I've considering deleting it. However, it is helpful to plan running dates, so I'm going to keep on, but like you, am being more cautious about what I post.

I'd love to keep up with your blog - I don't comment a lot, but I do read everything you write and I'd miss you if you disappeared!
Gaby said…
This actually may turn out to be a hassle for readers to have to sign in in order to read, but I'm still going to try it out and see how it goes. I'll make sure to add your email to the list of select readers! Thanks!
Norma said…
Thanks for inviting me. I don't have to sign in every time -- once I clicked your link in the email it said it would be "saved" so as long as I'm signed in to Blogger I can just click on your bookmark and come right in.

Popular posts from this blog

Life lately

Just popping in to say...