What I'll be making this Thanksgiving

A year ago, these were my Thanksgiving contributions (post here):

Breakfast: 1.  French-press coffee
2.  2-ingredient Pumpkin Spice Muffins (recipe found here:  2 ingredient pumpkin spice muffins)

Sides:

1.  Maple-Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Toasted Hazelnuts (recipe)
2.  Crockpot Corn Pudding (recipe)
3.  Buttered Turnip Puree (recipe)

Meat:

1.  Honey-Baked Ham

Dessert:

1.  Apple Spice Bundt Cake (recipe)
2.  Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake (recipe)

If I recall, I ended up not making the muffins, and the Brussels sprouts and turnip puree were a flop with everyone (although I'll reiterate that I personally LOVE and ADORE the turnip puree!).

The winners were the crockpot corn pudding and apple spice bundt cake, so those will be making an appearance again.

Here is what I hope to make this year (a few are special requests made by Ryan who always misses his grandma's cooking since we now go my parents for Thanksgiving):

SIDES:

1.  Kentucky Style Green Beans

2.  Crockpot Corn Pudding

3.  Homemade Biscuits

4.  Gravy

5.  Garlic mashed potatoes

DESSERT:

1.  Apple Spice Bundt Cake

2.  *I'm not sure if I'll actually have the time to make this but I'd really like to try--
     Bourbon Pumpkin Cheesecake


To make sure I don't go too crazy on T-day, it's mandatory that I make both desserts ahead of time.  Biscuits, too.  I can freeze them and then pop in the oven that day.  If I can pull that off, then the other sides shouldn't be too stressful to make the day of.
I'm a little sad that Brussels sprouts and turnips won't be making an appearance (unless a guest brings them), but I think it's best to just stick with the basics and not go overboard this year.  In the past I've worn myself out making a bunch of dishes only to have people not even try them due to so much food already being there, or simply because it didn't appeal to them.

We'll see how this year goes!

What are your Thanksgiving staples?
Ever made a dish that only YOU appreciated?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life lately

Just popping in to say...

Graeters, skin problems and a 100th birthday (somehow these all seem related, but they're not)