10 miler recap

*Slight amendment to this post: I found out that my actual finish time for the 10 miler was 1:32:38....faster than I thought!!  I wasn't wearing a watch/GPS so I had no clue at the time.

I participated in the Hilliard/Ray Patch YMCA Spring Thaw Run yesterday.  The company my husband works for sponsored the race so he registered both of us for the 10 mile option.  The other was a 5K.  Kind of weird that they only had those two, and not something in b/t like a 10K, but oh well.  It was a very, very small race and I have a feeling even fewer people showed up due to the rain and colder weather we had yesterday.  Of all the days to be cold, it had to be on a race day, of course:(
Since the past several weeks [or months, rather] have been so unseasonably warm and sunny, I didn't even bother to check the weather forecast and just assumed it would be gorgeous.  Well, it was so cold and blistery and yucky when we showed up, that I seriously considered wimping out and just doing the 5K.  There must have been 50 or 60 people participating and the majority did the 5K.  When we started running, I was 70% sure I'd just do the 5K so I could immediately get back into my warm car while waiting for my husband to finish the 10 miles.  When we got close to the turnaround for the 5K-ers, though, I just kept running straight w/ the other 8-9 10 milers....what the heck, why not?!
The course was pretty flat and really straight the whole time; around mile 5 or 6 my left foot went to sleep and it was really aggravating and distracting.  I tried to remind myself that my legs felt great and my breathing was fantastic so I should just be thankful for that.  After that, my foot went back to normal and I was able to enjoy the last 3 miles.  My husband was waiting for me at the finish line (he won the 10 miler!  He did it in 1:15, and with a stiff neck, bad leg and plugged ear, lol) and yelled for me to "sprint to the finish"--I did and was really surprised to see the clock read 1:39, because I was SO sure I had gone over 2 hours since I felt really slow.  My finish time was 1:40 something (don't remember the seconds) and I'm really glad I changed my mind at the last second to do the 10 miles.
My husband's coworker waited around for us so we could all go to First Watch for lunch.  Afterwards, we came home, lounged around and watched movies.  At some point, we got our lazy bums off the couch and got some food just to return home to watch another movie.  We didn't allow ourselves to feel too guilty for the sloth...we had just run 10 miles and felt good.  We actually went to bed abnormally early for us--10:30--and this morning, I made french toast w/ Ezekiel 4:9 bread--so yummy!

Off to run some Sunday errands and then we're making lasagna tonight to go with an episode of Game of Thrones (anyone watch that show?  I didn't think I'd be into it, but I am!).  Later!

Comments

Hooray! Glad it was such a good race!

Popular posts from this blog

Life lately

Just popping in to say...

Graeters, skin problems and a 100th birthday (somehow these all seem related, but they're not)