Weekend Recap

This past weekend, we traveled an hour and a half down south to spend time with the in-laws.  It went by way too fast (as they always do).  We made plans to attend a Reds/Marlins game Saturday afternoon.  The weather was PERFECT.  Of course, although I do love baseball, I started getting a little antsy when the game went into extra innings.  Reds ended up winning, but not until the 14th inning!  I was ready to go after that :)
When we got back, we made plans to have dinner at a restaurant called The Red Onion in Monroe, OH, and we met my husband's youngest brother and his wife there (and my MIL was already with us).  We waited in line for quite some time as it was a pretty small place, but every couple (the demographic was, um, slightly older) that left all remarked to us that it was "worth the wait".  So our hopes were high.
I chose to get the grilled salmon with julienned veggies.  Meh.  I don't think ANY seasoning was used, plus the salmon was a little burnt.  I wasn't impressed.  I don't think any of us were.  So the old folks were wrong.  Whatevs.
The only good thing about that evening is that I DID feel pret-ty good after having some screwdrivers (yes, with my MIL there--chill, I have never, ever gotten drunk in my life. Ever.) and I think we were all in a good mood (my BIL and SIL most likely b/c they didn't have their kids with them).  So we decided that we didn't want the evening to end and we drove to the Red Onion's "sister" restaurant closer to home and made it just as they were about to close.  They let us in when we mentioned we had already had dinner, but just wanted dessert.  I got their chocolate cake; my sis-in-law thought it was "excellent", but it was really just o.k.  But it got the job done (of course, I couldn't finish it).
The next day we visited IKEA in Cincy, where we got a rail/shelf/hooks to install somewhere in our kitchen for more knick-knack storage (finally a place to put my french press and mugs, as opposed to taking up space on the counter top), and then we met my BIL and SIL again (this time with the kiddos) at B-Dubs (Buffalo Wild Wings).  Now, normally I would probably hate going to place like that, but the Reds tickets that we had purchased for the day prior actually came with BWW vouchers, and we were misled into thinking that we could actually get wings at the game.  Well, after walking past every single vendor, we finally stopped and asked someone where Bdubs was and we were told that they didn't have one there. Huh!  Thanks for being so honest in your advertising!!
So we had these vouchers and got some free chicken wings.  Yeah, I don't see myself going back again any time soon.
And that was our weekend.

This coming weekend will involve a bit of home improvement as I'll be painting both bathrooms (I know I want a gray color, but still need to pick out the paint) with the help of my parents.  A few days ago, Ryan walked through the doors with a bunch of new flooring for our basement, as we decided we want to install laminate down there.  But I didn't realize he was going to purchase the floor so soon (remember a couple posts back? yeah, I was a little peeved he made a decision like that without confirming with me, but I got over it and I'm excited that we'll be getting rid of that icky, dog-accident-soaked carpet!) so it threw me off a little.  In addition to the rail and shelf we got, I've also been really, really wanting to install a pegboard on our kitchen wall, so I can hang some pots and pans and hopefully relieve some extra cabinet space.

After living here for almost three years (and two years for Ryan and his roommate before our year renting the place out), we still have a lot of work to do to make the place feel cozy (at least, to my standards).  But it's slowly getting there!

Okay-- need to stop typing and get a row or some other workout in, so I don't feel completely useless!

Comments

Shelley said…
I'd love to see before and after pics - home improvement projects are always so inspiring. And I need to do my floors (one of these years...).
Gaby said…
I need to do a better job of taking pics, so I'll try to remember to document the before and after's!! Your bathroom do-over looked so great, btw! I've been wanting to do the gray paint for a long time now.
Wow, you've had a busy few days. Doesn't it suck when you've had high hopes for something to eat and it only ends up being "OK?" Good luck with the reno!

Popular posts from this blog

Just popping in to say...

Life lately