A Lazy Sunday

I set out to write a much longer post in the form of a short story, but I'll have to finish it when I have more time.  Right now, I'm just trying to get as much done with what's left of the weekend.  Our electricity went out and was out for several hours, so that resulted  in my waking up late this morning.  We still had some time to make it to the Easton shopping centre, where I found a cute denim jacket at Anthropologie.   Afterwards, we grabbed some burgers from Five Guys and now we're back home where I'm prepping to make a chicken pot pie.

Yesterday, I accompanied a flautist for her solo/ensemble performance at a high school, and walking through the halls seeing all the nervous high schoolers standing around waiting for their turns, I remembered what it was like doing auditions, competitions and recitals when I was their age;  I almost made the mistake of telling myself that I was so glad that phase of my life was over--but then I had to remind myself that I'm still a musician: the performing, the auditioning (to a certain extent), the nerves--they never end.  Yes, my control over them has increased through experience, and I'm more mature mentally and emotionally.  Also wiser (I hope), so it is a little different, I suppose.
After this girl's performance, I heard her remark to her teacher (and my boss, the owner of the music school I teach at) that she could hardly remember her performance, that it was just a blur.  We all laughed and said that that's usually the way it was.  Later, I was thinking why it has to be that way--does performing under pressure really have to feel like a kind of "high" where we scarcely remember what happened after it's all over?  That hardly seems fair considering all the work and sweat that goes into any performance.  It made me want to better control my mind and nerves for future performances so that I always am aware of what I'm doing as I'm doing it.

I may have to expand on this later, but for now, my chicken pot pie is beckoning me.:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life lately

Just popping in to say...

Graeters, skin problems and a 100th birthday (somehow these all seem related, but they're not)