Autism

Yesterday, I met with a potential beginner violin student.  I knew ahead of time through the office manager that it was a young (4-5 yr old) child, and I was a little pessimistic about it because I don't do very well with especially young children.  Typically, their attention span is very short and their focus is all over the place.  They bounce off the walls, and I end up feeling more like a nanny then a teacher.  This cute kid came in and his mom had two other siblings with her, so she stayed outside while I had a chat with him in my studio.  As soon as he walked in, he was asking a million random questions, and my attempts to have him sit still while I showed him my violin were futile.  He kept getting up trying to touch the instrument, or pick at the cushion covers on the bench, etc. etc.  After 15 minutes, I thought I had made up my mind and decided to get the mom in to let her know that I couldn't take him as a student as he was too young for my teaching style.  As I was talking, trying to let her know in the nicest way possible, she interrupted me and told me, "The office manager did tell you that he has a spectrum disorder, right?"  And I said, "No. What is that?"   So apparently, he has PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified), a form of autism.  As soon as she said "autism", that changed everything for me.  Suddenly it made sense why he was acting the way he was.  Here, I thought he was just a rowdy kid who wasn't disciplined at home and I was ready to write him off. 
I accepted him as a student in my studio.  Why did that change my mind?  Well, I don't know too much about autism, but as a musician, I completely believe in the power of music.  I do  know that autistic children have a hard time socially, and music can be a possible outlet for that lacking skill (although it seems like a lot of musicians who are perfectly normal are lacking in social skills, too.  Hmm).  I also like a challenge.  It's one thing when I get a student who doesn't want to be there and gives me a hard time and the parent is uncooperative in disciplining them--I have no problem throwing them out of my studio, but it's another story if I know the child WANTS this and simply has a disability that doesn't allow him to behave normally.

Has any other private teacher out there dealt with a special-needs student?  What were the results and how challenging/frustrating/rewarding was it for you?

I once taught a girl with cerebral palsy, and she actually was capable of playing the violin and had played before coming to me, but she had the worst attitude ever and many times, I had trouble getting her to just get her violin out of the case during a lesson.  I had to drop her.  So I didn't really get a chance to experience teaching someone with this kind of disability.  We'll see how it goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life lately

Just popping in to say...

Graeters, skin problems and a 100th birthday (somehow these all seem related, but they're not)