Sick

Yesterday afternoon, after I came home from a studio recital and a pit stop at another student's performance at an Indian festival, I felt a little wiped out.  I was starving, so I ate lunch plus a little more--and then I felt a tickle in my throat and thought, "uh-oh": I was getting sick.  I hardly ever get sick and was just starting to feel a little proud of my no-sick streak when this bug hit me.  I tried to attack the symptoms with salt and cayenne pepper mixed in some water to gargle, but the sore throat got worse into the night.  Fortunately, I was very tired and a sore throat wasn't enough to prevent me from getting a good night's sleep.  Once I woke up, my body felt pretty good--just the darn sore throat!
I just find it really interesting that whenever I've gotten sick in the past, I've always had an immediate craving for really healthy foods; I start salivating over salads, deep green veggies, clear liquids and lots of fruits.  I hardly ever eat fruit (I know that's bad) on any other day when I'm feeling fine.  Anything else that I would normally eat or drink on a given day also becomes repulsive to me once I'm sick, like: coffee, soda, sweets of any kind, bread or dairy.  It makes me wonder--why can't I feel these healthy desires even when I'm not sick?  Also--perhaps I'm not in the know about this, and it could be a general given--I have this feeling that when I was running more regularly, that may have had something to do with my not getting sick in almost two years.  Granted, I haven't run in only two weeks (feels like two months!), but it's still an intriguing thought.

At any rate, I'm getting ready to go to the grocery store to store up on healthy eats.  We had planned on celebrating hubby's birthday this weekend, but then I got sick and ruined his birthday:(  So I'm hoping to make him something half way decent for dinner tonight, and also have it in my mind to additionally make a good chicken soup for myself to sip on the next few days.

Hope your weekend was good!

Comments

Hope you feel completely better soon!
Gaby said…
thanks! I did feel better surprisingly soon. Must have just been a 24 hr thing...

Popular posts from this blog

Life lately

Just popping in to say...

Graeters, skin problems and a 100th birthday (somehow these all seem related, but they're not)