Realizing that you just dodged teaching a student with a potentially annoying dad: priceless!

I got an email yesterday informing me that I was to start a new violin student in a few days.  When I looked at my schedule, I realized I already had a student in that time slot so I had to ask the studio's office manager to call the prospective student back and ask the father if they could wait a week while I changed things around in my schedule and would be happy to fit him in at the time he wanted a week from now.  I figured that was reasonable. 
Apparently, that was unacceptable to this dad and he said something to the effect: "That's too long.  We're picking up the violin tonight and there's no way my son won't be able to keep his hands off for a whole week.  We need lessons NOW", and so the office secretary scheduled him with another violin teacher who could fit him in this week.
When she told me that, I said "okay" but on the inside, a wave of relief came over me as I suddenly realized that I dodged an annoying bullet.  What that father said is all I needed to hear to realize that if they don't have the patience to wait a whole week for a good teacher, then it's highly unlikely that the patience will be there to learn the violin in general.

I'm so thankful that I've dodged so many potentially annoying students over the years.  I've definitely taught my fair share--some longer than I'd have liked to--but eventually they fall by the wayside, or Divine Providence steps in, and I'm spared the trouble.

This might sound bitchy and haughty of me.  If you're a teacher, though, I think you'll know what I mean;)


In other news, I'm feeling better.  I'm definitely upset that my being sick twice rattled my workout plans for the month of January; however, in all honesty, when I'm sick--even just a little--I get wimpy about it and everything falls apart.  It seems to take me forever to pick myself up afterwards.  But I don't think I'll apologize for that, because life just happens.  It does. 
I'm looking forward to the next few months and seeing how they unfold.  I'm playing in two orchestras right now, teaching 35+ students, accepting gigs for spring already, and considering participating in a 100 mile relay a month after my first marathon.  The idea of running 100 miles intrigues and excites me, but the reality is I probably could not do that all on my own anytime soon.  Most likely, I will do 10 miles and there will be a group of us who completes the 100 miles beginning in Cincinnati and ending in Columbus.

Alright, I'm feeling pretty sleepy, and I'm supposed to run 5 miles tomorrow, so I should head to bed.  Here's to February!

Comments

Hannah said…
Oh, I couldn't agree more about the student's dad...you know if they are like that at the beginning it's not going to work. And heaven forbid you need to reschedule for some reason then!

That relay sounds fun!! Wish I still lived in Ohio ;)
sarah marie said…
Oh I completely understand how relieved you must be. I currently have a student (not for long, I'm guessing... the mother and I may need to have a conversation soon!) whose mother asks me almost every week, "When will he be done with the violin and ready to learn the piano?"

You can't make this stuff up, right? Crazy.

Popular posts from this blog

Life lately

Just popping in to say...

Graeters, skin problems and a 100th birthday (somehow these all seem related, but they're not)