The Pros and Cons of Being a Cheapskate

I caught this show on TLC called Extreme Cheapskates last night.  I'm always intrigued by penny pinchers because a lot of them tend to be financially free and are able to retire early (like my parents).  However, these particular individuals have taken penny-pinching a little too far.  One man goes so far as to ask other patrons while he's out dining, if he can take their leftovers.  Gross.  Another woman--a mother of six--doesn't buy toilet paper for her family.  Instead, they cut out cloth squares and re-use those.  Disgusting.  For the most part, they all were a little quirky and it's safe to say that their respective spouses must be incredibly patient and special people:)
There was another man whose head seemed to be in a slightly better place, and he was pretty logical about the reasons why he lives the way he does.  Something he said resonated and stuck with me, and that was the idea that most people tend to increase their standard of living when more money falls into their hands--whether it's a salary increase, inheritance, or whatnot--and he and his wife agreed a long time ago to not fall into that trap.  As a result, because they don't feel the need to buy the latest stuff (b/c isn't that really what swallows up our money and resources? Stuff!) like iPhones, iPads, etc. they were able to retire long time ago.  As to what they do in their spare time, I'm not sure, but his hobby seems to be picking up spare change anywhere he can find it.

I don't think I'd ever go so far as to stop buying toilet paper (hello--what about the time it takes to cut individual squares out, clean them and whatever else you have to do to keep that shit up--might as well shell out five bucks for a package of toilet paper), or go dumpster diving, or ask strangers for their gross leftovers--but the philosophy behind that behavior bodes well with me.  The idea that we don't need to cave in and obtain every little new thing that comes out (besides, you know it's going to be cheaper in a few years anyways) makes sense, but it seems to be very hard to stand on the sidelines and restrain yourself when everyone else gives in and walks around with the latest crap.

 But if I were your wife and you gave me dead roses from a dumpster for our anniversary, I'd punch you in the face.

This morning, I got in a 5.1 mile run.  I was supposed to do 6 miles, but my chest hurt a little, so I just decided to stop and run home from the gym instead.  If I feel like it, I may do another run tonight--I'm hoping for 3 miles or so.  But if it doesn't happen, I won't feel too bad, since I sweat a good amount this morning.

Today, I only teach 3 students.  Crazy.  But what's crazier is that I'm there longer than I should be b/c of a stupid one hour gap.  Not enough time to go out and do errands or really do anything productive (at least, the way I like to leisurely do them), but still too long for me to sit around and twiddle my thumbs.

Have a great Wednesday!

Comments

Hannah said…
I know what you mean about buying all the crap. I'd like to think as a parent I wouldn't succumb to that either--we don't need every little piece of junk. My phone is close to two years old, our tv is over ten years old, we drive used cars, etc...and my parents still think I spend way too much on the latest fads! I especially hate the pressure to buy designer clothes and bags...but I will drop over $100 on my running shoes every couple of months, because those are practical.

For my teaching breaks, I try to plan to practice or bring my kindle (fad, but SO practical!) to read during them, so at least I feel like the time is well spent. I hate that though.

Popular posts from this blog

Life lately

Just popping in to say...

Graeters, skin problems and a 100th birthday (somehow these all seem related, but they're not)