Other stuff

Ok.  Thanks so much for tolerating my silly vent--some of you suggested I "unfriend" the parent from FB: I thought about it, but ultimately decided that what goes around comes around.  The way I see it, I did nothing wrong and really shouldn't be in a tiff about it.  Yeah, I still find it annoying how she behaved one way w/ me but obviously acts another way with the new teacher--but it's not in my interest to bother even reading into it.  Besides that, I still teach a student whose family is best friends with this former parent/son--it just wouldn't look good on my end.  My solution is to stay away from FB. I hardly ever update my status like I used to, and I think long and hard before I consider posting something.  Politics are a no-no and random thoughts are refrained when I put myself in others' shoes and imagine how silly they'd seem if I were a stranger reading those ridiculous rants.

I don't advertise my blog on FB so I'm not really worried about what I discuss on here.  Of course, there's always a slight possibility someone I know may stumble upon it and know it's me, but other than my occasional vent, I try to keep the topics neutral.  If I'm really worried, I guess I can always go back and delete:/

ANYWAY.

Less talk about teaching and more about other things.  I've been trying to push myself harder in the practice department; so far, the minimum has been two hours daily, but I hope to increase it on the weekends.  I've been working on excerpts again, and one in particular has been the bane of my existence: Schumann's Scherzo from his Symphony No.2.  The metronome is a must for me when I'm going through it.  It's a lot easier to pick out better fingerings when I'm going at a painstakingly slow speed, but once I increase the tempo, my fingers tighten up.  Part of that though, I think, is a mental block.  I get slightly fearful before I even play the first few notes and whatever passage I'm insecure about inevitably is shaky once I arrive. Ugh, I should probably take my own pedagogical advice I give to my students and stop myself from freaking out about the entire movement and instead, focus on "baby steps".  One measure at a time, one phrase at a time, or one line at a time...until I can link them all together.
I've been playing the violin since I was 3, but in recent years I honestly feel like I just started playing.  My outlook on how to practice is changing, as well as my view on approaching the standard violin and orchestral repertoire.  I also have different reasons for wanting/needing to improve than I did before.

Have a lot of housework stuff to get done before I go out.  I want to get a row in before I teach, too (esp. since I have that 5K tomorrow morning).  Sigh, there's always an endless amount of *stuff* on my list to accomplish.  It never ends.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm just now getting back in shape after a very lazy summer, but since my first concert of the season in early September is Shosti 5 & Rach 2nd Piano Concerto, I really need to get my ass in gear or I will die after the first day of doubles!
Gaby said…
Shosti's 5th is my favorite! Been a long time since I've gotten to play it.

Popular posts from this blog

Life lately

Just popping in to say...

Graeters, skin problems and a 100th birthday (somehow these all seem related, but they're not)