Month of Giving Thanks

Hannah from HANNAHVIOLIN is posting one thing she's thankful for each day for the month of November.  I think it's a good idea and will join her in doing the same.  Although I'm not consistent with posting something every day, it will force me to take a closer look at how fortunate and blessed I really am.  And yes, I know I should be thankful for what I have every day of the year, but for the eye rollers and party poopers out there, I think major holidays are especially good for precisely these kinds of things.  Perhaps they are viewed at as cliche, but I think they serve a purpose and greater meaning.

So.  The first thing that comes to my mind that I'm thankful for (and the order of my "things" are completely random as I think of them) is that I have a job.  I was thinking about this on my drive home from teaching today; when one thinks of a successful career or being gainfully employed, becoming a musician isn't really the first thing on their list.  No doubt, my fellow freelance musicians know what I'm talking about: your student number can rise or drop at any moment, sometimes gigs don't pan out or you don't get as many as you anticipated, and even music educators employed by the school system are at risk of losing their jobs if music programs are cut.  However, in good times and bad, the students--whatever the count is--are always there and new opportunities are always arising.
When I think of how many unemployed individuals there are in this country alone who are worried about paying their bills, feeding their families and just wanting to sleep at night without their burdens keeping them up all night, I recognize how blessed I am to not have to worry at this particular moment about something like that.  I suppose there are other things that are linked to this that I'm also thankful for that make it possible for me to have a job, but I'll have to reserve those for other days this month!

Anyone else have a list of what they're grateful for?  Or even one thing that sticks out in your mind that you're particularly thankful for?

Thanks, Hannah, for the wonderful idea:)

Comments

Hannah said…
I'm sure I didn't come up with the idea on my own, but I'm glad you're joining me with the 30 days of Thanksgiving :)

Popular posts from this blog

Life lately

Just popping in to say...

Graeters, skin problems and a 100th birthday (somehow these all seem related, but they're not)