Movies about runners...sounds boring!

I went for a nice short, slow run Sunday afternoon and I felt pretty normal afterward.  I still am not sure if I could ever handle a truly long distance (anything longer than a half marathon) without injuring myself, but perhaps the key for me is to be a lot more consistent and take in the miles gradually.  It's possible that my routine of sporadically running here and there and changing up the mileage each time was a lot worse for my body than I thought.  As the temperature drops, I'll probably be finding myself going to our gym and using the treadmill (which I absolutely hate); I thought about joining the local Urban Active just to use the indoor running track, but running in circles might drive me even more crazy than the treadmill.  At least I can watch TV while using the TM.

Our evening entertainment tonight is an Austrian film based on a true story.  The Robber (Der Rauber) is about a marathoner who robs banks.  When my husband selected it on Netflix, I kind of thought the plot sounded stupid; however, films based on true stories always fascinate me, and as it turns out, this film actually has some good running in it.  There doesn't seem to be too many good running movies out there, but another one I've seen in the past that I really enjoyed was Saint Ralph.  I think I also saw one of the two biopics made about Steve Prefontaine, but the one I saw didn't make a lasting impression on me.

At any rate, this movie does not have a good ending--kind of makes me mad how this guy wasted his life and running ability.  The running scenes DID make me want to throw on my running clothes and go for a scenic run right now.  Too late for it, though.

My little yorkie has been acting strangely the past two days and we were scared that we were going to get a repeat of last summer when her back legs became paralyzed for a day.  One minute she's trembling and crying, the next she's wagging her tail and acting normally.  Not sure what it is, but I'm a little on edge because of it.  If a little dog can make us worry this much, I don't know what a child would do to us!  Perhaps it's all for the best that we put off  kids for now.  Sometimes, it's hard to watch our friends who have kids do all the fun stuff parents get to do during the holidays (like treat or treating!)--I feel like I've been left behind and am missing out.  I just have to remind myself that it's not the right time for us and at some point, I'll be enjoying all those same things as well.

And on that note, another thing I'm thankful for [I guess yesterday's post doesn't count since it was still posted on the 31st] is:  Freedom and alone time with my husband.  I catch myself sometimes being wistful for kids, but I'm confused as to whether I really want them, or if I just think I want them because I see everyone else having them.  I tend to sometimes forget how our friends complain about no more freedom for themselves, or how finances become tight once the kids arrive; they can no longer go to the movies or go out on a whim for an evening dinner with friends or just alone.  I suppose being a childless couple and new parents both has its pros and cons.

Question:  Is it just me, or do other people find it easy to get entangled in others' time lines and activities and become hard on themselves because of it?  Obviously in my head, I know it's silly and wrong, but I'm just human!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life lately

Just popping in to say...

Graeters, skin problems and a 100th birthday (somehow these all seem related, but they're not)