Dear Teacher, I don't like to practice so...you're fired!

It's funny--whenever I lose a student (and I learn to expect it at some point throughout the year, it's just inevitable), I get the overwhelming urge to drop everything and go bust out a serious run.  Other than praying and meditating, running is seriously the most therapeutic activity I know of.

I know it's ridiculous--and I've talked about it several times in the past--but a small part of me dies whenever I unexpectedly lose a student...especially when I know it's because they were sick of me correcting their form and being a stickler for good technique.  I've lost a LOT of students to fiddle playing--or at least, the claim that they would rather study fiddle playing (although before quitting or moving on to another teacher, they would never express that desire to explore it with me--just a ton of gloomy faces whenever I'd crack out the Kreutzer or work on their bow holds!).  I'd always offer the opinion to the parent that good technique would be the basis for being able to play ANY kind of music later on.  I'd get robotic nods...and then weeks, months--or in this case, 3 years later (!), a "Dear, John" type email citing "We've found a more compatible teacher". Translation: "We've found a teacher who won't correct my kid's mistakes as much and let them do whatever the heck they want".

I don't know why I get so upset--I mean, I'll get over it, I always do--but the few times a year it happens, it's kind of a slap in the face.  A rejection.  I have complete confidence in my teaching skills and know that I do all the right things as a teacher, but when my students don't practice what I give them, and then see the consequences (or non-consequences, I guess) of their lack of work, I get the blame.  It's frustrating.

I wasn't done teaching this kid--I was trying so hard to get her to fix her "flat" left wrist, sloppy bow hold and other bad habits she acquired through "fiddle playing" on the side.  In the end, she and her father did whatever they wanted to do and just found someone else who would be okay with it.

The upside to the rejection: it just makes me want to be an even better teacher to my current students.  A better player, a better anything, really.

It's too late for a run now; tomorrow morning might just be the perfect start-up day to return to running.  Maybe this "Dear, John" (or "Dear, Teacher"?) email came at just the right time...

Comments

Valerie said…
Man, that must be hard! I'm lucky in that my time with clients is generally only between 6 and 10 weeks. If I've been with someone for 3 years it's more of a friendship than a teacher / student relationship. I think you're handling this really well, and I hope you went for your run this morning. I'm sure it was needed, and I'm certain you'll feel better after it.
Gaby said…
I rowed this morning! Yeah, it's become the norm to lose students (and gain new ones)--but after a couple of years, teaching the same student week in and week out, you always feel like they're taking a piece of you away from the lesson; to just end the relationship w/ an out of the blue email..it stings a little. I wish they would have said something in previous lessons--now that I think about it, I gave them so many opportunities to talk about it with me. It's almost a little cowardly. Sigh.
Nate Robinson said…
Sorry to hear that. It must be tough from a personal standpoint to lose a student you've worked with for a long time.

If your student is leaving you because you are working on technical basics and problems - that's a good sign for you, as a teacher. Don't change your standards and apologize for doing your job. A less serious student should go study with a less serious teacher.

I think we're living in a day and age where people (and government) don't take any accountability for their own actions or negligence.
Gaby said…
Thanks for the thoughts, Nate. Totally agree w/ that last one:/
Anonymous said…
Ahhh gotta love some good Kreutzer even if the kids don't. Unexpected kids quitting is always tough :(
Gaby said…
Did you already do your marathon, Pink Runner? If not, good luck!
Hannah said…
It definitely hurts when people leave out of the blue. But I'm like you, I always try to improve the technique, because with good technique you can play anything. I've gotten some adult fiddle players who come to me realized their limitations...after years of playing for "fun" it's much harder to fix bad habits.
I hate it when they leave, too. And especially under those circumstances--it's so frustrating, and I have a hard time not taking it personally, myself. Hope you've had one or two good runs since then...

Popular posts from this blog

Just popping in to say...

Life lately