Running and Practicing, practicing and running...

I had an audition last night for a community orchestra near my city that has a mixture of professional musicians from the CSO (Columbus Symphony Orchestra) and students who pay tuition to be in the orchestra.  I resigned from the orchestra in Springfield that I played in last year, because I just got so tired of driving there, plus I just didn't really enjoy it all that much.
I probably won't be paid to be in this orchestra, but that's okay because they seem to be playing good repertoire this year.

I went on another long run with my friend on Tuesday morning--bright and early at 7:30--and we did around 9 miles.  We've been planning for two half-marathons in the next two months, but today my friend told me that she was signing up for the full marathon.  Ack!  Of course, I know I'll want to do that with her, too, but I think we're going to have to go on a couple more extremely long runs in order for me to make that assessment correctly.  I'm guessing, though, that I will still do the Columbus Half in October.  Perhaps I can work my way up to a marathon in time for next year's Cincinnati marathon.

While we were running this week, my friend observed that I haven't been whining at all since taking our runs over 6 miles.  I thought that was kind of funny: I whine about 3 miles, but I'm "in the zone" for anything past 5-6 mi.   I definitely know that the longer I run, and the more I run, the more I crave running when I'm doing anything else.
Since I had that audition last night, I cranked up my practicing majorly (and I still don't like how I sounded...but they seemed to like it, so I guess at least I got the job done) the past week, doing 4-5 hours daily;  I felt so stupid afterwards, because I realized that I really miss it.  Why don't I do it on a regular basis?  I feel like a hypocrite, being a violin teacher.  I tell my students to practice consistently, but I don't even do that.

Obviously, this can't--and on some days, it's impossible--happen all the time, but I feel like my quality of life would increase tremendously if I could run 2 hours and practice 4 hours on a consistent basis.  That just seems to be a number where I find I am productive and where I seem to have a lot of break-throughs.

The year isn't over yet--I'm excited about what can happen in the span of 3 or 4 months!  Has anyone done a full marathon, and if so, can you recommend good running shoes for longer distances?  I have a pair of Adidas that I use right now, and I like them and they're fine, but I'm not sure if I should get better shoes if I potentially do a marathon in the future.

I'll be going home for the Labor Day weekend; not sure what the weather is supposed to be like (it's in the 90s right now--way too hot for a run), but hopefully will get some running in.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and day off!

Comments

You just put me to total shame in terms of both running and practicing! I'm just trying to make sure both even happen 6 days a week...More power to you for being so productive, though.
Gaby said…
ha--ideally, both WOULD happen every day...but most days, it's either one or the other...or neither. This past week was an exception, and I wish I could do that every single day:(

Popular posts from this blog

Life lately

Just popping in to say...

Graeters, skin problems and a 100th birthday (somehow these all seem related, but they're not)