I can smell Fall already

This feels like the last week of summer, although technically, Fall doesn't begin until September 23rd.  Some students started school already, and my teaching schedule returns to afternoon/evening hours only next week.



I was shopping at Kohls yesterday looking for more running clothes (funny how I no longer am too interested in everyday fashion and always head straight for the active wear department at stores), and as I was leaving, I caught smells of Autumn near the registers.  They're already having sales on Fall decor and candles--I can't wait to fill my house with smells of cinnamon, spices and pumpkin--mmm!  This is, without a doubt, my favorite season of the year; the weather cools down, the outside colors are gorgeous, the smells are heartwarming and besides that--my wedding anniversary is in the Fall, too:)  My husband and I agreed on choosing October for our wedding date and I vividly remember how perfect that day was, too.  It was bright out, not cold or uncomfortably warm, either--one of the last few perfect days of the Fall season, if I remember correctly.  We had a very small wedding ceremony--only 30-40 people in attendance--at a small Lutheran church in Middletown, OH.  We chose simple hymns for the entire ceremony to be played on the organ, and for two musicians who were used to always providing the music for weddings, the musical excerpts we chose were fittingly appropriate for how simple we wanted things to be.

I know a lot of people (mostly my family) didn't like how simple things were: my mom dreamed of a lavish wedding for me and relatives incorrectly speculated that my husband and I chose to get married "so soon" (um, after two + years of dating, and both of us out of school and working...not really THAT soon!) because maybe something else was in a hurry to come out!  Well, after nearly five years of marriage and STILL no kids, that speculation can be put to rest.  Thanks.

We did our wedding the way we wanted to do it and at the time we felt was right, and I truly have never regretted it.  I wish I could relive it.

So even though it feels like summer has come and gone in the blink of an eye, it only reminds me that I'm that much closer to the best season of all--a season that will always have great memories for me.

***********************

This is a completely random post, and I had no intention of turning it into a sentimental excerpt.  I just happen to have some free time on my hands while waiting for the first student of the day, and I probably won't be writing anything after this until next week, as I will be going out of town tomorrow evening for a weekend with the in laws.  There may be some swimming at the water park involved, and there most definitely will be violin and piano music on Sunday morning.  Hopefully, there will be some running thrown into the mix as well.  After my 10 mile run last Friday, I've been a bad runner--a very bad runner--and haven't run at all since.  I need to get back on track.  I did manage to get in a few more hours of practicing this week, so there's that.  Maybe one day, I'll be perfect and actually run AND practice on the same day!

For now, I'll shrug my imperfection off and look forward to the weekend.  Hope you all have a wonderful one, too!

Comments

Hannah said…
I also have the issue of only wanting to buy more running/workout clothes. Weird. And then when I do laundry, it makes sense, for they are what takes up most of the load.

No fall for me yet...the weather is still QUITE summmer. I'm not ready for it though, so it's fine.

October weddings are beautiful :)
Love fall--even the sadness that is mixed in as summer ends and school starts. It's a wonderful time of year!

Popular posts from this blog

Life lately

Just popping in to say...

Graeters, skin problems and a 100th birthday (somehow these all seem related, but they're not)